AS/A level specification | AQA
Computing is a discipline that offers rewarding and challenging possibilities for a wide range of students regardless of their range of interests. Computing requires and develops capabilities in solving deep, multidimensional problems which need imagination and sensitivity to a variety of concerns.
This course has been designed to:
- Prepare students who wish to go on to higher education courses or employment where a knowledge of Computing and Systems Analysis and Design would be beneficial.
- Allow students to demonstrate their knowledge of the fundamental principles of the subject.
- Be accessible for students with no prior knowledge of programming.
The course emphasises the ability to think computationally and students who enjoy solving complex problems will enjoy the content relating to this. Students who take the course will have the opportunity to develop their programming skills, generally with a focus on Python and Visual Basic.Net although most material is language independent so they can seek to develop other programming languages if they wish.
The college enjoys a close relationship with the University of East Anglia (UEA) Computer Science Faculty and students benefit from visits to lectures and demonstrations at the UEA.
A good grade in GCSE Mathematics is highly desirable (GCSE 5 or higher, or equivalent).
Content & Breakdown
- Unit 1: Computing Principles (50% AS).
- Unit 2: Algorithms and Problem Solving (50% AS).
- Unit 3: Computer Systems (40% A2).
- Unit 4: Algorithms and Programming (40% A2).
- Unit 5: Project (20% A2).
The specification looks to build fundamentals with a strong connection to their application within programming solutions. The project in particular is often an area of great interest as it provides a lot of freedom for students to explore areas of personal interest while challenging them to create often unique and intriguing software solutions.
Those with the knowledge to use Computing creatively are highly sought after and have the opportunity to pursue new and exciting careers. These include Computer Engineering, Computer Science, Information System Design, Software Engineering, Graphics Engineers, Gaming Designers and Engineers, Project Management and Systems Analysis.